S-W Licensing, Vehicles, Vessels, Hunting, Fishing and Discovery Passes

Licensing Hours Monday thru Friday 8 am to 6 pm

We will be closed Monday, May 27, 2019 in observation of Memorial Day.effective May 1, we are no longer open on Saturdays but will be extending

Located in the Sedro-Woolley Chamber office at 810 Metcalf St

(360) 855-1162 (tel)
(360) 855-1582 (fax)

Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm we stop accepting title work a 1/2 hour before closing

Offering auto, truck, vessel, RV licensing, title transfers, truck tonnage as well as disabled parking placards.

Along with Vehicle and Vessel Licensing, the Sedro-Woolley Chamber of Commerce now provides Hunting, Fishing, and Immediate Discovery Passes.  We are able to  accepting cash credit or debit cards payments for the Fish and Wildlife licenses.







For Vehicle and Vessels, You can still renew your tabs online pick them up locally or come in in person and meet our terrific staff.

How to renew
A notice should be mailed to you when your vehicle tabs and registration are due for renewal, however these notices are considered a courtesy. Please keep your address updated to ensure you receive all Department of Licensing (DOL) correspondence. There is no fee for us to change your address in the DOL system.

How to renew your tabs

You do not need your renewal notice to renew your tabs. You only need the plate number (or VIN number), proper ID, and pay the required fees.  Vessel renewals are no longer receiving notices as all vessels now renew in June every year.

  • If you cannot come in yourself you have a few options, including using the link above to renew online.
    • Someone with the same last name or address (their ID must show address that is on file with DOL) may purchase your tabs for you.
    • You may write a note of permission for anyone to purchase your tabs but they will need to show ID and pay with cash.
    • Immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother or child) may renew by showing ID and signing a certificate of fact attesting to their relationship to you. They must pay in cash.
    • How will I receive my new tabs?

      Your choice:
      By mail - they will be mailed within 5 business days, or

      Pick them up - they should be ready when you get to the office at 810 Metcalf Street, in downtown Sedro-Woolley.you can renew your tabs online at https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/tabs/Default.aspx,

Requirements Before you renew:

  • Pay any unpaid parking tickets and related penalty fees.
  • If your vehicle has a declared gross weight over 55,000 pounds, pay Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax.
  • If your vehicle has a declared gross weight over 16,000 pounds, have a DOT #.

When you renew:

  • You must provide a valid physical address, and mailing addresses are optional.  If your address has changed please bring in proof of your new address, ie: updated Driver License, utility bill, lease agreement, etc.
  • You must pay all fees related to the renewal of your vehicle tabs and registration.

Renewal deadlines
You can renew your vehicle tabs and registration up to 6 months before the expiration date. To find the specific date your tabs expire, check your registration or your notice.

Changing your name
You must update your name on your vehicle title if your name changes due to marriage or any other reason. Changing your name on the title will also change your name on the registration and will cost $31.00.

Note: If there is a lien holder on the vehicle (for example, if you are paying off a loan on your vehicle), you must make arrangements to change your name on your title through the lien holder and not the Department of Licensing.

Required address information
Washington residents are required by law to have their primary residence street address on their vehicle's registration record. You may also indicate an alternate mailing address.

You must provide your residence information when you change your address unless you meet one of the following exceptions (Note: these changed in 2007):

  • (a) Persons who are exempt by law from paying motor vehicle excise tax or fees.
  • (b) Vehicles exempt by law from motor vehicle excise tax or fees.
  • (c) Natural persons who are homeless; defined as someone with no housing.

Businesses must also add the street address of their Washington principal place of business to the vehicles registered to their business.

Report of sale

Why file a report of sale?
The report of sale does NOT transfer ownership, but will release you from legal liability if you file the report properly. If you do not file a report of sale, you may be held liable for parking tickets, impound fees, and other financial liabilities incurred by the new owner until they transfer the title into their name.  You may file your report of sale for a vehicle online at  https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/rosprod/

When to file
You must complete your report of sale no later than 5 business days after a vehicle is:

  • sold privately.
  • given as a gift to another person.
  • traded, either privately or to a dealership.
  • donated to charity.
  • turned over to an insurance company or wrecking yard.
  • disposed of.

Information you'll need:

  • The date of the sale or transfer.
  • Your name and address.
  • The name and address of the person the vehicle was sold or transferred to.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • The vehicle license plate number.

There are two ways to file the report of sale:

  • online  https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/rosprod/
  • in person at our office.

After filing the report of sale, you will be given a receipt to keep as proof you filed the report. If you file online, print the receipt when you have completed the report of sale.  As of July 2017, filing a report of sale costs $8.75.

Transferring a Title

Deadlines and penalties
You must transfer ownership into your name within 15 calendar days from the date of purchase, or pay the following penalties:

  • $50 on the 16th day.
  • $2 per day for each day after the 16th day, up to a maximum of $125.

It is $37.50 to transfer a title plus any use tax (usually 8.5%) that may be owed on the purchase price (as long as the purchase price is within fair market value) and registration fees if needed. Vehicles with an out of state title have other fees due as well. If you need a more specific amount please call our office at (360) 855-1162.

If you buy from a dealership
If you buy a vehicle from a dealership, they will complete the paperwork to transfer ownership into your name for you.  Dealerships have 45 days to process the title transfer.

If you buy from a private party
If you buy a car, motorcycle, or other vehicle from a private party, you are responsible for transferring ownership of the vehicle into your name within 15 days.  New plates and registration will be issued at the time of transfer, unless the vehicle is being gifted from a direct family member.

What you'll need
When you finalize the sale, make sure you receive all the documents required to transfer the title. These documents may include the following:

  • Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (title) - The seller must release ownership of the vehicle by signing in the appropriate place on the title. All persons listed on the title must sign it.
  • Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest - If the title is lost, the seller must complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest and sign it in the presence of a notary public, county auditor, or licensing subagent. All persons listed on the vehicle record must sign it.
  • Bill of sale - This receipt is needed to calculate the use tax you must pay when you purchase a vehicle from a private party.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement - If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, BOTH the buyer and seller must state the mileage and sign, either on the title itself or on an Odometer Disclosure Statement form.